Station Road, Sidcup

How can we help?

Please fill in this form and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Please enter your name
Please enter your email address
Please enter your telephone number
Please enter a question
Please let us know how you heard about us
Please enter the verification code

We’ll only use this information to handle your enquiry and we won’t share it with any third parties. For more details see our Privacy Policy

Trust is No Replacement for Legal Advice

Sadly, not all relationships that get off to a good start last, and it is vital to seek legal advice before entering into any financial arrangements, even with those who are closest to you. That point was clearly made by a case in which a woman attempted to cheat her ex-partner out of his rightful share of the house they once shared.

The couple had been together for 15 years and had a child before they separated. He paid £25,000 towards the acquisition of the house. The property was, however, registered in her sole name and she denied that he had any stake in it. She argued that the payment he made was a gift rather than a loan or an investment. She also denied that he had contributed to loan repayments or had carried out and paid for substantial renovation and maintenance works.

In upholding his claim to an equitable share of the property, the First-tier Tribunal (FTT) found him to be an honest and reliable witness. By contrast, her evidence was dishonest and she had even resorted to fabricating copies of a builder's invoices in an attempt to undermine his claim to have undertaken works himself. It was also considered to be inherently unlikely that he would have gifted her £25,000, the equivalent of a year's salary. The extent of his share in the property will be assessed at a further hearing if agreement cannot be reached in the light of the FTT's decision.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.