At Woolsey Morris & Kennedy we pride ourselves on providing our clients with clear and transparent details of the costs involved giving you peace of mind and reassurance at a difficult time.
Whenever possible we will provide you with a fixed fee for the work we carry out on your behalf. This fixed fee is based on our Solicitor’s hourly rate of £250.00.For obtaining a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration and also carrying out the administration of an estate to conclusion our charges will be calculated on the following tariff.
|GROSS VALUE OF ASSETS||FEE|
|Up to £40,000.00||£1,800.00|
|£40,000 - £100,000||£2,800.00|
|£100,000 - £325,000||£4,500.00|
|£325,000 – £650,000||£6,000.00|
|£650,000 - £1,000,000||£8,000.00 to £10,500.00|
ADD to the above net fees:-
- VAT (All fees charged above are subject to VAT at the current rate).
- In addition to payment of our fees you will also be required to pay certain ‘out of pocket expenses’ (“disbursements”) to third parties which we handle to ensure a smoother process for you. The usual disbursements to add are (as at 1st November 2018) statutory identity checks of £6 per executor who is able to provide full identification documents, the commissioner for oaths fee (where applicable) which costs £5 per personal representative to swear the oath plus £2 to mark the Will (please note the swear fee or the oath is due to change in the near future); Court fee to apply for the Grant £155 plus £1.50 per office copy Grant required for each asset (please note these are due to increase in the near future); UK Bankruptcy searches which are £2.40 per beneficiary; approximately £300 for the statutory advertisements to protect the personal representatives from unexpected claims. Where other disbursements are payable we will inform you of these in advance of incurring them to obtain your agreement to incur these additional expenses.
- There are separate charges applied if we are instructed to act in connection with the sale or transfer of any land or property.
- Tax: Inheritance Tax, income tax and capital gains tax may be payable by the estate. These are not included in the above tariff – for an idea of the inheritance tax payable please use HMRCs inheritance tax guidelines which can be found on https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax
- If there is no will or the estate consists of a number of share holdings (stocks and bonds) there may be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- Our fees will be less if we are instructed to only obtain the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration and not to then also deal with administering the estate thereafter.
- If the gross value of the assets exceed £1,000,000.00 we aim to agree a fixed fee and this will be based on the Solicitor’s hourly rate of £250.00.
- We will provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter.
- For more information on the probate process please see: www.legalchoices.org.uk
- On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6-12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 3-6 months. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 3-6 months following Grant. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-6 weeks.